Blog Journal 2
1. As a student, particularly through my middle school and high school years, I used MS Word as my main tool for writings papers or completing online assignments. Before most of my school's technological appliances were Apple, they were Microsoft computers. If I had to write essays, they would be completed on MS Word. If I ever had to create a presentation or something like a newsletter, I would use the tools on MS Word to create whatever I needed. The same goes for my teachers. In my younger days of schooling, Apple products were not as widespread in the classroom and schools as they are now. My teachers would use MS Word to display certain assignments to the class or notes. Through my later years of schooling, I mostly remember using Apple "Pages" as my main source of writing or completing assignments. I do remember the impact that Microsoft computers and applications had on my younger years of schooling. I would always use MS Word for my assignments and homework.
2. My main experience with copyright and fair use of materials comes from writing essays and being able to site my sources correctly. An aspect of learning that has been drilled into my mind is the significance of plagiarism and being original in every aspect of your work. Similar to this, for example, if I had an assignment where I needed to create a new "idea", like how something could be used or an idea for a new invention, it would have to be original and not taken from somebody else. My teachers would always make sure to reiterate the fact that plagiarism results in punishment. If I were a teacher, I would make sure to reiterate the same things to my students. My instructional materials would be to make clear that original work is a requirement. Before giving assignments I would make clear to every student that plagiarism and unoriginal work calls for punishment. It also does not expand the minds of the students. Copyrighted material and unoriginal work are acceptable when listed with correct citations and sources.
3. The first issue that I would propose a solution to in my classroom would be privacy. I would create a presentation that talks about the Internet and the countless online databases available for countless people to see. Keeping your accounts private is a very important aspect of having a presence in the technological world. Keeping your online activities private is important to not only protecting your original work, but protecting you as a person in general. Hackers are rampant and it's easy to have your online information stolen. I would bring light to these aspects with a presentation and highlight the importance of privacy online. I would also remind my students regularly to not post private aspects of their life online for the world to see. Privacy is important and I would push that on my students.
Another issue that I would propose a solution to is academic honesty. If I were a teacher in a classroom, I would make sure to talk about the importance of academic honesty in everything my students do. I would focus on the idea that my students knowledge will not grow if they depend on the work of others to succeed. I would probably make another presentation talking about these aspects. If caught with academic dishonesty, there will be known consequences. Such as receiving a 0 on the assignment or having to re-do the assignment in it's entirety. I would make sure that my students know the importance of academic honesty.
Another issue that I would propose a solution to is cyberbullying. In our society today, cyberbullying is something that can occur easily and anonymously. As a teacher I would reiterate the fact that no form of bullying is tolerated in the classroom. If any of my students were caught with cyberbullying they would be dealt with by the Dean or principal of the school. There will be punishments from the school itself rather than punishments from me as a teacher. I would make sure each of my students understand having integrity and caring for their peers, which is a very important part of a classroom setting.
Many of us consider fair use of other people's work as proper citing in the research papers, but it is more than that. We create and disseminate information in both the real world and online world and we need to respect other people's creation. Therefore creative commons is an interesting solution for us to treat IP seriously and encourage people to respect our IP.
ReplyDelete